Thursday, March 26, 2015

Consensual Chivalry.

March 7th was International Women's Day.

I didn't feel terribly inspired on the day, and to be quite honest, I didn't think too much about it... well, not enough to create my own rant on the matter.

However, over the past few days, articles on feminism and equality have been surfacing on my Facebook newsfeed, and they have all taken a different approach than I am accustomed to seeing.

No one is barking at their male audience or putting them down. No one is aimlessly screaming, "WE NEED EQUALITY!" The articles of late have been simple, honest, and respectful.

One discussion in particular stood out to me, inspiring this short post.

The awe-inspiring, UN Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson spoke at a live Facebook Q&A session on gender inequality Sunday. While answering a question on dating a feminist she said something I found to be beautiful.

"I think the key is that chivalry should be consensual... We’re never, ever, ever going to be able to fly as high unless we’re both in support of each other."

Consensual chivalry.

I have never heard the solution of gender inequality described so precisely and perfectly. This is how we should all live our lives. Male to female, female to male, male to male, female to female, there should be a sense of consensual chivalry.

This aligns exactly with how God feels on the issue. 


John 13:34  "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

I believe that most of the world's problems could be solved by this one verse. If we would just love one another the way that Jesus loved and continues to love us, there would not be this much evil in the world. We would not even have to be discussing females being considered equal to males.

But what does it look like to love one another? What is love?

I Corinthians 13 is one of the most overused chapters of the Bible. Until recently, I also found it to be one of the most annoying, but then I actually read it. And not bitterly, but with an open heart. Verses 4 through 8 tells us exactly what love is:

"
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongsLove does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truthIt always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveresLove never fails..."

I am aware that I sound like a hippie right now, but what is wrong with that? Regardless of how you feel about God or Christianity or the Bible, do any of these things sound like a bad thing to you? The world needs more love. 
Less envy, pride, anger, selfishness, delighting in evil, and bringing others down. More patience, kindness, trust, perseverance, rejoicing in truth, and lifting others up

Heck, to quote the Beatles, "All you need is love..." Love for all races, all genders, all people.


xx.Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment